What do creative disruptors do? We change the way we look at the world–by taking something as mundane and universal as the sign on a women’s bathroom and making it soar.
Following the campaign’s launch at the Girls in Tech conference, #ItWasNeverADress went viral almost immediately, with coverage on BuzzFeed, The New York Times, CNN, The Huffington Post and Time, among others. The New York Times headline read, “‘It Was Never A Dress Graphic’ goes bananas online.” And BuzzFeed proclaimed Katan would “change the way you look at signs for the women’s bathroom forever.”
With the campaign’s meteoric rise in popularity, Axosoft expanded #ItWasNeverADress to allow people to share their own stories about what it means to change perceptions and assumptions. In addition to this interactive, dynamic expansion of the conversation, Axosoft also wanted to produce a tangible change for those most affected by the issues these conversations were foregrounding.
Partnering with Arizona State University, a scholarship in the Herberger Institute was created for a need-based student entering a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) field. Since ASU had been so vocal about this bridge between science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and art, it was a natural fit to have them as partners.
Axosoft launched an online store to generate revenue, the profits from which go entirely to this new STEAM scholarship. It is Axosoft’s hope that these scholarships create the diversity and creativity that this state needs. After all, artists and engineers are not so different, and nurturing the next generation of talent in creative tech industries is a mission to be proud of – especially if we can empower those most in need of assistance to pursue their dreams.
- Donate to the STEAM-Powered Girl Scholarship Fund, empowered by Axosoft »
- Visit the #ItWasNeverADress scholarship page ASU’s School of Art for more details and application info »
- Purchase #ItWasNeverADress official merchandise on CafePress to support the scholarship »
- Interact with the campaign by sharing your story or creating your own disruption »
- Take a look at the Girls in Tech performance and learn more about #ItWasNeverADress »
- View ASU’s press release »