Following the campaign’s launch at the Girls in Tech Catalyst Conference in 2014, #ItWasNeverADress went viral almost immediately, with coverage on BuzzFeed, The New York Times, CNN, The Huffington Post and Time, among others. The New York Times headline read, “‘It Was Never A Dress Graphic’ goes bananas online.” And BuzzFeed proclaimed it will “change the way you look at signs for the women’s bathroom forever.”
With the campaign’s meteoric rise in popularity, Axosoft expanded #ItWasNeverADress to allow people to share their own stories about what it means to change perceptions and assumptions. In addition to this interactive, dynamic expansion of the conversation, Axosoft also wanted to produce a tangible change for those most affected by the issues these conversations were foregrounding.
Scholarship with Girls in Tech PHX
Axosoft has partnered with our local chapter of the global nonprofit Girls in Tech, to create a scholarship for women who are interested in learning new technical skills and up-leveling their careers! This strategic partnership was a natural fit because their mission directly aligns with the #ItWasNeverADress campaign, and the Catalyst Conference was where the campaign took off.
Girls in Tech (GIT) Phoenix aims to accelerate the growth of innovative women entering the high-tech industry and building startups in the Phoenix Valley. Their mission is to also ignite a passion of STEM for young girls in the hopes they will enter and excel in related professional fields. It is Axosoft’s hope that this scholarship helps increase the diversity that the tech industry needs!
Axosoft launched an online store to generate revenue, the profits from which go entirely to this scholarship, and we also donate directly.
Scholarship recipients receive the following:
- Tuition paid directly to Bottega for Part-Time Report “Full Stack Developer” Program, a $7,500 value.
- Access to Bottega career placement services.
- Access to mentoring through Girls in Tech PHX and Bottega during and after the program.
- Upon completion of the program, you will have an opportunity for an Axosoft internship, after which you’ll be evaluated for a future full-time position.
- Free admission to Girls in Tech PHX events for 12 months.